This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Please see our full disclosure for further information. If not otherwise stated, all prices are intended in US$.
Is there anything more stressful than choosing a gift for a man? I know that everyone says that shopping for men is easy, but it’s not so easy when that man is YOUR man. And not because he’s too picky, but simply because you want to make him happy, make him think, “Wow, you know me so well.”
So, the first thing you do (as I assume you are like me) is type “gift ideas for men” on that magical world that is the internet. And then? Billions of lists are on your screen; lists of stuff to give to A man, but not YOUR man, and you are back to square one.
Wouldn’t it be awesome if there was a list of things just for your kind of man?
Drumroll! I have it! You can thank me later.
Ok, too easy, you have to put some work into it, otherwise what’s the fun?
Please note, that in this article I’ll show you how to choose the right gift and then I’ll go with you for some targeted shopping for your kind of man. This post will be updated with new categories often, so if your man’s category is not there yet don’t worry, it will be.
Before getting to the heart of the matter, I would need you to put some effort into it; but, because I’m fantastic and I want to make stuff easy for you, I’ve created a worksheet for you that you can download for free.
1. Before going through the list of “gift ideas for men” try to understand what your man’s love language is
What’s that? In this book, Dr Chapman explains the different ways people communicate with their partners. There are 5 kinds of love languages:
- Words of affirmation: Expressing love through words. For example, praising someone or giving them a compliment.
- Acts of service: Show your love with actions.
- Receiving gifts: In this case, it’s a material gift that shows the love.
- Quality time: Showing love by giving undistracted attention.
- Physical touch: Showing love through touching your partner.
Now, what lots of people do is show love using THEIR love language, but if your partner has a different one, he won’t understand.
This is why knowing the love language of the other person before buying a gift is so important.
Don’t be scared, you’ll find more info in the free worksheet that you can download for free
If you know which of these is the best to make your partner happy, you have done half of the work.
2. Before going through the list of “gift ideas for men” know what he likes
This shouldn’t be a problem. Given that he’s your partner I assume you know him, at least a tiny bit.
3. Before going through the list of “gift ideas for men” ask yourself what he needs
But be careful with this, what he needs is not always the right gift. In this case, there are multiple factors to analyse. Is he a pragmatic man? Is he broke? Is he just too lazy to go to buy it for himself? It’s just something that he needs, but doesn’t know he does?
4. Before going through the list of “gift ideas for men” think about what you want to tell him with that gift and what he will understand
Sometimes you buy him cologne, as you aim to tell him you love having his smell on you, but he just reads into it “you smell”. So you really, really need to think this through with forethought. (One time I gave a gym membership to one of my friends and she hasn’t spoken to me ever again.)
5. Before going through the list of “gift ideas for men” stalk him
Every man is different, but you can easily put him in some sort of category; so I have split the gift ideas into different categories.
I’m pretty positive that you’ll find the right category for your man. Please note that this post will be updated with new categories.
If you can’t find a category where your partner fits, let me know in the comments and I’ll create one.
Before going to your category, don’t forget to download your free worksheet!
- Gift idea for the healthy man (A man who cares about his health, hence eats well, does sport and enjoys life.)